Bright Cellars review and wine ratings: meh

Back in October, I got my first Bright Cellars shipment. Check out my unboxing here. Now it's time to rate those wines!



I went to the Bright Cellars website to review my wine ratings I'd posted there. And I noticed something interesting about my ratings. Do you see it? Check out the screenshot below:



*Spoiler alert* I rated each and every one of them three stars. Three stars. That's just "meh" on the Meg Wine Scale.

Here are my individual wine notes.

Acopio Tempranillo 2015: Nose: dust (not in a bad way. Like a box of old goodies). Envelope glue. Taste: medium bodied, smoothish. Blackberry.
Obscura Cabernet Sauvignon 2015: Nose: juicy, festive. Pretty light for a cab. Cherry, maybe a little vanilla on the finish but I'm not super impressed. Will have to see as it warms up. Hmm there's something kinda fake melony about it.
Burrasca Falanghina 2016: A little funky (in a good way). Melony. It's fine; it's hard to tell how good it is since I'm just not a white wine fan AND it's a cold night and I just want redddddd.
Quinte Royale Ace of Hearts Red Blend 2016: Dark color. Leather, bandaid. Falls kinda flat after a few sips. Not bad, but prob wouldn't drink again.
Circa 33 Rosé 2016: A very pretty jewel-tone coral color. Smells like salumi. A little sweet. Honey. Melon. A little kick overriding the sweetness. Weirdly, notes of dark chocolate. Why so vague on origin? Just "California"?

My final verdict

Their customer service, while a little aggressive in pushing their sporadic wine deals and promotions, has been excellent. I feel like I'm "talking" with a real person (through email)—gone are the robots I felt like I was dealing with when I first took the wine personality quiz. They truly make me feel like they want to get my pairings right. They have a neat feature where you can write a note to your concierge while you're rating your wine. My concierge responded immediately when I mused that I might want to hold off on white wine until next summer. He made it happen!

Still, I'm very skeptical that I'll love any of the wines they have to offer, given that ALL five bottles were just "meh" for me. So I'm pausing my Bright Cellars subscription but holding out hope that they'll pinpoint my wine personality and send me stuff I really love, next time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To: Make a Lucy (from Peanuts) Dress

Review: Store-Bought Cold Brew

The Bathtub Fiasco + The Wonky Pipe