Review: Store-Bought Cold Brew

Funnily enough, I'm sipping hot tea as I write this. Iced coffee just doesn't feel as great on a sore throat as hot tea.

I'm a newb to cold brew coffee. 99% of the year, I drink hot beverages. Yes, even on hot days. But the last few weeks have been especially humid and yucky, and while I still love my hot coffee in the morning, I'm really starting to prefer my afternoon coffee on ICE.

Here's what I've tasted over the past couple weeks:

Chameleon Mexican Coffee - Love the cinnamon and almond. Probably not for regular rotation, but a nice treat now and then.


Lucky Jack Old School - Smooth, nutty, not bitter at all. But maybe not as flavorful as it could be.


High Brew Mexican Vanilla - Really tasty; maybe too desserty for me. Chocolatey, but there's no actual chocolate. Shrug. I don't like the lingering sweet aftertaste on my tongue.


Stok Un-Sweet Black Cold Brew - This is my least favorite so far. It's very watery, and the coffee is just meh. I prefer a stronger brew. I drank it over ice and heavy cream. Was hoping the cream would help, but nope.


Trader Joe's Organic Cold Brew - Soo I might have to try this again, because I literally chugged it on a very hot day and forgot I was supposed to be tasting it. Obviously it wasn't bad, eh? I appreciate the nitro effect.


o0o0o0o! Nitrogen effect!

La Colombe Draft Triple Latte - This reminds me of the bottled Starbucks frappuccino drinks. It's very desserty but I enjoyed it quite a bit. I would buy it again maybe for a once-a-week treat. I don't like this contraption over the mouth of the can, though!


Are you trying to protect my dainty little mouth with that plastic contraption, La Colombe?

Trader Joe's French Vanilla Cold Brew - This is pretty delicious and is similar in flavor to the La Colombe but not as rich (after all, it's not branded as a latte, though it does contain milk). Very good if you want something a little bit sweet but not too sweet. It has a bit of a lingering sugary aftertaste that I don't love.



What iced coffee or cold brew products do you enjoy? Do you make your own? Enlighten this amateur!

Comments

  1. Actually a question... what is the "nitrogen infused" and why do you have to activate it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously though, what's the deal with store bought cold brew weird after tastes?? It's such a thing, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed. I usually buy the little canned ones and chug em so I don't even notice. I'll be trying the Trader Joe's one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So it's not just me?! And why do some of them have an aftertaste, and some don't? I'll have to pay attention to ingredients next time...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How To: Make a Lucy (from Peanuts) Dress

The Bathtub Fiasco + The Wonky Pipe