Hagelslag, Two Ways

On a totally random internet rabbit trail, I recently discovered that Dutch people put sprinkles on buttered bread for a snack. This phenomenon is called "hagelslag", and it's not just for kids. Apparently Dutch people are reeeally passionate about their sprinkles. I had a friend in college whose roommate insisted on putting sprinkles on really inappropriate things, like pasta. Maybe he was Dutch??

Just look at all these sprinkles options:

Some of them are more like actual chocolate shavings. Ooooh.

There's an informative and humorous article about Dutch sprinkles here if you neeeed to know more, like I did. 😂

Anyway, I decided I HAD to try it, even though I was really weirded out by it. I mean, I'm totally down with bread—even more down with bread and butter—but sprinkles on top?? The sprinkles we have in America always seem to be stale and tasteless, more just for sprucing up a cake or donut. So I acquired some legit Dutch sprinkles (thank you, World Market!) and did a little taste test.

I gathered my supplies: a delicious loaf of white bread made by the hubby + chocolate Dutch sprinkles + butter (I love the European-style cultured salted butter from Trader Joe's)


I wanted to try it on both untoasted and toasted bread. I also tasted the sprinkles by themselves. I thought these De Ruijter sprinkles tasted pretty dang good; flavorful and not just like pure sugar. Then again, I haven't really eaten American sprinkles by themselves. Maybe I thought they were good just cuz they're Dutch.🤷 In any case, they really were very chocolately.

Butter on

Sprinkles on


Hagelslag, Two Ways

Time to taste!


The verdict?

Um.

It's kind of what you would expect buttered bread with sprinkles on top to taste like. I liked the toasted version slightly better. I'm not a huge fan of chocolate on bread-like things (namely, pastries) (with the exception of the chocolate croissant). Maybe I would like a different sprinkle flavor? I think if you DO enjoy treats like chocolate donuts, this could totally be a delicious, quick snack. But for me, I don't think I'll be making it again. Now, what to do with all those yummy chocolate sprinkles?!

Yes, I eventually licked off the sprinkles because apparently I like my sprinkles separate from my bread.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How To: Make a Lucy (from Peanuts) Dress

Review: Store-Bought Cold Brew

The Bathtub Fiasco + The Wonky Pipe